Tuesday 16 August 2011

Compositing

The process I tend to use is:

  1. Cut the base footage in Premiere
  2. Compile the frames from Processing into a Sequence in Premiere
  3. Import the two into After Effects to composite and do video effects
  4. Import the AE comp into Premiere again to do audio arrangement and effects, and fade ins/outs
  5. Render the complete Premiere sequence with Media Encoder
Tracking in AE was harder than expected, due to slightly out of focus bits of footage I hadn't spotted, and a lack of tracking marks. I didn't want to use tracking marks, because artificially smoothing my skin would be noticeable seeing as my skin is far from smooth normally. I also wanted the imperfections in my skin to show through the overlay to make it more convincing. I managed okay with a few different attempts though, using things like the corners of my nose or eye.

I tried out all the blend modes for the overlay layer, but there was an issue with the effect getting too light and being unable to read it, or it not standing out as I wanted it to, so I reverted back to the layer blend mode and used some masking with wide feathering to replicate the main lighting on my face.

Once that was done, I fiddled around with different video effects just to experiment, and found that it looked much moodier in black and white. This suit the noir/prison sort of feel I wanted so well that I switched it to black and white by using a bunch of color correction effects (the contrast is never good enough by default when switching to B&W).

No comments:

Post a Comment