Saturday 16 July 2011

First Sketches

How to approach a very film-centric assignment, with almost entirely film-based inspiration and examples, without the outcome being just another boring-but-at-least-well-executed slice of video?

I thought of doing something more abstract, just trying to create a scene in which a strange being is just, well, being. The image I had in my head of this glowy-faced, billowy-haired thing ended up being very similar to the 'jacked-in' segments of an animation short called Matriculated, which is part of the excellent Animatrix anthology.

I also had a stab at the tattoo option, which seemed obvious but rife with possibility still. Emotionally responsive tattoos seem interesting, but perhaps a little too obvious. My second idea in this vein was to move away from the face slightly and present a vision of the future in which people had adaptive tattoos capable of displaying information about the body. This health readout would be commonly on the neck, and the user could call it up and manipulate it using touch or even thought. It would be linked to a vast network of nanobots keeping tabs on and even aiding the body. This has a sort of DLF feel to it, suggesting a wider setting and idea through its short timeframe and seems to have more worth than my other ideas.

I'll work on variations of this for the storyboards and see where it takes me, perhaps find some sci-fi to draw from.

No comments:

Post a Comment